Pat's Preemie and Newborn Baby Hats:
Patterns provided by:
The samples were knit with 10-20 g (.35-.7 oz) of Yeoman Cashmilon 4-ply acrylic yarn on standard gauge machines.
Garter Carriage Version (yellow & turquoise samples):
1. Using the garter carriage set to Tension 5, cast on 70 (100) stitches.
2. Program in Stitch World #532. COL, RC000. At Tension 5, knit 2 rows. At Tension 4, knit 60 (80) rows. Note the Newborn sample was knit with 24 rows in Colour 1, 46 rows in Colour 2 and 10 rows in Colour 1.
3. Transfer every other stitch to the neighbouring needle and push empty needles to non-working position. You will now be knitting on every other needle. With the main carriage at Tension 2, knit 3 rows. RC065 (085).
4. Thread the double-eyed needle with the yarn tail and remove the stitches from the needles. Mattress stitch the seam, reversing the sides facing you so the seam is hidden on the inside of the cuff. Pull up the cast-off tail to gather the top and sew tight.
5. If desired, finish the top with a tiny pompon or crocheted cord.
Single Bed Version (white samples):
1. Pull 70 (100) needles to upper work position and push every other needle back to non-working position. E-wrap cast on over the 35 (50) needles.
2. COR, RC000. At Tension 6, knit 60 rows of mock rib. Bring the needles in non-working position to working position. Pick up the e-wrapped stitches from the cast-on onto the empty needles to form a hem.
3. COR, RC000. At Tension 7, knit 1 row. At Tension 6, knit 29 (49) rows. RC030 (050).
4. Remove the work on a garter bar or waste yarn. Rehang over 53 (76) needles so every third needle has 2 stitches. At Tension 5, knit 4 rows. RC034 (054).
5. Transfer every other stitch to the neighbouring needle and push empty needles to non-working position. You will now be knitting on every other needle. At Tension 4, knit 2 rows. RC036 (056).
6. Follow #4 & 5 for the Garter Carriage Version, seaming the mock rib so the seam is on the inside of the hem.
Return to Freebies
Return to top